• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8 posts in this topic
Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

555 posts 87 threads Joined: Oct 2011
09-04-2013, 02:10 AM -
Hello everybody!

It's time for some feedback [Image: default_smile.png]

I've been running this site for a long time now and I would like to ask you guys what you think about the site and how I've been doing while running it.

Since many things changed, I also would like to ask you guys what you would like to see changed (more attention for other games?), as I will change the entire fan hub again soon to update it a bit.

Both the portal will be revamped (with a brand new and shiny CMS and theme) as the forum (with a new theme).

Let me know what you want to see here and I'll do my best to incorporate it!

One thing I can already say about the upcoming changes are:
  • The portal will be changed from WordPress into a Fork CMS installation (this is, among others, to enable newsletters and much more).
  • The new design for the portal will be heavily inspired by the Metro design language, which means there will be a bigger focus on content.
  • The new design for the portal will be fully responsive and built on top of Foundation 4 by Zurb.
  • The new design for the forum will probably not be designed by me (I suck at forum theming...)
I also want to update you guys about some changes that happened lately:
  • The Spellborn Fan Hub is now running 4 months on a server that I manage myself, and with the move we've seen a huge speed increase. Have you guys noticed this and are you happy with this change?
  • The post from 22 April 2012 on our website shall be deleted soon; as this was a paid for post (advert) which paid for all hosting costs last year, which I had to keep for a year. Since I have a fulltime job now, I can pay for the hosting bills myself (but support and donations are always welcome).
  • The Asuracake is still coming, but it has been delayed. It takes a lot of work to make it work, and it's a lot more than I had expected. Also, Guild Wars 2 ate a lot of my time away [Image: default_wink.png]
  • I'm planning to do webdesign and programming professionally and will start doing this later this year [Image: default_smile.png] (quite excited about this one).
  • The Articles system which we launched with Ancestral (but removed later on) has been open sourced and is available for free on my Github: https://github.com/vampiretrix/Spellborn-Articles
  • April is the unicorn month.
Well, I'll probably add some more tomorrow, but now it's time for me to go to bed [Image: default_smile.png]

Let me know your feedback, it's very important to me!

AncientPlayer

1 posts 0 threads Joined: Apr 2013
09-04-2013, 06:28 PM -
Hello

In my opinion this site should be as simple as possible. Be serious, only few people still visiting this website, and they doing it only to be informed if someone make progress in rebuilding spellbourn. We dont need new things, just give us simple forum with simple colours (this background + white font, not best solution).

Also, thank you for hosting and keep an eye on this forgotten part of internet.

JW-NL

129 posts 7 threads Joined: Nov 2010
10-04-2013, 07:12 PM -
Hey Ho,  

I follow ancientplayer in most parts, the "make up" etc might give a good look,

on the other hand, the information that we can share here about our beloved game of TCOS should be the main thing.

Also keeping the old postings available (by making a regular backup) would be nice.

At the moment I have the idea that not all my old posts can be found anymore, they're not even in my own list of posts / started topics.

It might have to do with the fact that the forum has been moved earlier and not all data could be saved, it can also be that you choose not to copy all data.

Maybe you can fix the small errors of a double / at the end of links on the top buttons of "forums" and "the spellborn fan hub",

this makes the links go faulty and you get the page with the text "Sorry, we couldn't find that!"

Most of the other forum things for social media like twitter, Facebook etc, I really don't care about them because of the simple fact that I don't use it myself.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the idea that the amount of users logging in to check the forum has degraded a lot,

maybe they just forgot about this place, or the fact that we have some nice things going on here.

Although I do see the google system on a regular basis crawling the pages.

One thing which Acid and I miss is the spellborndb.net data from Hinx, I tried to get in contact with him, but got no reply.

I think you had made some arrangement with Hinx about his website, just hoping we can get that part up and running again somehow.

Finishing the post I say:

Thanks for the good job so far and hope you can keep it up and running because it's the only place where previous Spellborn players can get in touch easily.

Greetings Jan-Willem or JW-NL

Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

10-04-2013, 10:15 PM -
Welll, about the visitors... It has actually gone up lately (see attachement) [Image: default_smile.png]

I indeed lost some posts due to some errors on the site on which I had to improvise to fix it.

Normally only 2 days of posts max are lost, all the others should still be here from the original site, back from the first forum. I had IPB import everything from SMF, so no actual posts should be lost.

I'm looking into better backup options though, as to provide any data loss.

I haven't really heard from Hinx, but I'm still willing to host it. I also would like to host anything you guys come up with.

More information about what I'm going to change will be up soon [Image: default_smile.png]

Oh, and about the forum links: really trying to find out what is causing that, since all paths are okay in the admin... I can't find the cause >_>

[Image: post-1-0-40928900-1365628268_thumb.png]

Czelsior
Eternal Guardian

187 posts 27 threads Joined: Aug 2010
10-04-2013, 11:47 PM -
I'm glad that this site exists,cause its the only remaining place for the last fans of spellborn.Without this site the whole thing would have gone forever into the deep deadspell.

I registered nearly at the very beginning of this project and was following the progress.You did a great job improving this site with many visual features and also alot of functional features.

Im looking forward,to see what will come next.

Personally i dont have any suggestions atm,its nice as it is.The spellborn-DB would be awsome but without a living sign from hinx it will be difficult i think.

So go on with your work,cause its great work.

Just my few cents..

What lies hidden. must be found

TCoS Gameplay Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/czelsior

Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

16-04-2013, 12:29 AM -
Hey, just a little update [Image: default_smile.png]

Starting from today our site will have daily incremental backups, so we should be safe and nothing should be getting lost [Image: default_smile.png]

I also haven't heard anything from Hinx lately... so I fear for the site >_>

JW-NL

129 posts 7 threads Joined: Nov 2010
17-04-2013, 03:06 PM -
Nice Job Vampire,

Just make sure you also make a complete backup every now and then, incremenal backups can fail if one of the saved files can't be used.

But this depends mostly on the software you're using for the backup.

About spellborndb, I've seen a japanese or korean version which I could use via google translate, but it's only part of the information Hinx had available.

Acid and I can off course deliver the picture's of the maps of the different area's but that's only the beginning. The database contained much more like

the locations of item drops and the spawn location / walking route of most of the named NPC's.

At the end of the playable period I've also seen that some player added info was available, guess that info is lost if there's no longer contact available with Hinx.

PS, Vampire, how is your agenda on sunday 28 april ?

Ciara and I are visiting the Antwerpen expo for the event of http://www.antwerpconvention.be/2013/ and we have booked a hotel to sleep from saturday to sunday.

I've seen in the program that both Chris Evenhuis and Romano Molenaar, previous Spellborn artists are on the guest list.

Maybe Cow is interested as well ?

Greetings Jan-Willem and Ciara

Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

19-04-2013, 03:10 PM -
Well JW-NL, I'm still looking into backup options, but I automaticly have a snapshot taken daily, weekly and monthly but those restore the entire server, not only our site. I'm looking into getting another server to backup to, but it's not exactly free [Image: default_smile.png]

For the incremental backup I'm using CodeGuard, and for our portal I've set up a backup script that makes weekly backups. For the forum I haven't set up a backup system yet, but I'm looking into that as well. Basicly a database dump daily should be okay, and the attachements should be stored as well.

I'm stilll looking into everything for this, but it ain't as easy as sometimes looks like (SSH backups are a pain).

And about Spellborndb.net: http://web.archive.org/web/2012072312414...orndb.net/ still holds many secrets [Image: default_smile.png]. This website makes backups of entire sites.

And about the 28th... I fear I already have plans. I'm going to Antwerp to Antwerp Convention with my best friend (was seriously already planned), so I'll see you guys there! [Image: default_smile.png]

DrDream

94 posts 11 threads Joined: Nov 2010
17-05-2013, 03:17 AM -
i feel so out of place here i never got a chance to actually play this game, but i still hold hope that one day i might actually get to play it but i fear that day may actually never come. T_T