Hosting?!
Started by Bufaritza

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

39 posts in this topic
Hinx

2 posts 0 threads Joined: Nov 2010
08-11-2010, 12:21 PM -
All info is in the client. It contains spawn locations, quests (Text, Reward, Preconditions, etc.), items and their stats, even loot tables. The only thing missing is the actual drop rates (they took that out cause people where complaining about the low drop rates when I published them on SpellbornDB), but there shouldn't be a problem simply punching in some numbers for that.

Even with all that info there I wouldn't get my hopes up. Its gonna be hell of a lot of work to emulate the network commands between client and server. Especially without a working server around where you can "sniff" the traffic. I don't know anyone in the community with the skill, time and will to work on that.

Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

555 posts 87 threads Joined: Oct 2011
08-11-2010, 06:41 PM -
Completly agree with that Hinx and welcome aboard Smile

CowMooFlage
Administrator

396 posts 7 threads Joined: Aug 2010
08-11-2010, 08:40 PM -
Quote:All info is in the client. It contains spawn locations, quests (Text, Reward, Preconditions, etc.), items and their stats, even loot tables. The only thing missing is the actual drop rates (they took that out cause people where complaining about the low drop rates when I published them on SpellbornDB), but there shouldn't be a problem simply punching in some numbers for that.

Even with all that info there I wouldn't get my hopes up. Its gonna be hell of a lot of work to emulate the network commands between client and server. Especially without a working server around where you can "sniff" the traffic. I don't know anyone in the community with the skill, time and will to work on that.

Ohoh, this is slighty new for me. I thought loads of the info was stored serverside.

And I don't know anyone elso who could do such a thing. Well, I do know one. My cousin could probably code the whole thing for us. But he's currently in Masdar City, Abu Dhabi, working on some megaproject involving interactive videoscreens as large as buildings in their metro stations. Plus, he's always been a very busy guy, so I doubt he'd be able to help us out.
Bufaritza

60 posts 2 threads Joined: Oct 2010
08-11-2010, 09:34 PM -
You could at least try. The very least he could give us some sort of tutorial of what to learn and to do. I would devote my time and energy to do this.

[Image: nz9yfw6j8st11zd64ylu.gif]
Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

09-11-2010, 11:20 AM -
Bufaritza, it isn't as easy as you think it is. Ever opened up the TCoS files in a binairy editor? Text isn't formatted cleanly like it is in Word or so, it's scattered in bits everywhere. Kinda chaotic and complex.

Furthermore, it might be in there, but without a working server/client I doubt we could every do anything with it.

Debbie and I had a chat with Selachii about this and he simply said it would be very hard for us to do. We don't have enough people with enough skill to do this. This isn't about copy/pasting, it's a lot harder than that.

Bufaritza

60 posts 2 threads Joined: Oct 2010
09-11-2010, 06:14 PM -
Quote:Bufaritza, it isn't as easy as you think it is. Ever opened up the TCoS files in a binairy editor? Text isn't formatted cleanly like it is in Word or so, it's scattered in bits everywhere. Kinda chaotic and complex.

Furthermore, it might be in there, but without a working server/client I doubt we could every do anything with it.

Debbie and I had a chat with Selachii about this and he simply said it would be very hard for us to do. We don't have enough people with enough skill to do this. This isn't about copy/pasting, it's a lot harder than that.

Used a hex editor once to modify a file and stuff like that, so I kinda know. I know you need solid skills in certain areas and stuff, but hey I like to learn. I'm just saying that I will be helping if anytime in the future we find a reasonable solution.
[Image: nz9yfw6j8st11zd64ylu.gif]
CowMooFlage
Administrator

09-11-2010, 07:25 PM -
Well, I guess we as a community stand behind any attempt to revive this game but you'll need some serious aid to succeed Bufaritza, as Vtrix pointed out. I, for one, am not familiar with coding so I can't help you. But if you continue and down the road I can help you, I will.

Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

09-11-2010, 08:42 PM -
I'm only good for the hosting/server management and coding of the site, for the rest I'm not really good Sad

CowMooFlage
Administrator

09-11-2010, 10:13 PM -
If anyone knows anyone that can do reverse software engineering, then he/she is more than welcome to give it a shot I'd say!

Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

10-11-2010, 07:22 PM -
Indeed [Image: default_sad.png]

However, I don't seem able to run the game client anymore Confused