Hosting?!
Started by Bufaritza

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

39 posts in this topic
Bufaritza

60 posts 2 threads Joined: Oct 2010
01-11-2010, 11:04 AM -
No idea if this has been discussed(probably has), but we all have the spellborn game still installed right(I do at least). So isn't a way for us to "host" our own little private illegal ^^ server?. My knowledge on hosting are pretty low,(in this domain at least) so If we all googled and stuff could we not find a solution?

[Image: nz9yfw6j8st11zd64ylu.gif]
CowMooFlage
Administrator

396 posts 7 threads Joined: Aug 2010
01-11-2010, 02:19 PM -
Quote:No idea if this has been discussed(probably has), but we all have the spellborn game still installed right(I do at least). So isn't a way for us to "host" our own little private illegal ^^ server?. My knowledge on hosting are pretty low,(in this domain at least) so If we all googled and stuff could we not find a solution?

We've discussed doing this multiple times in the past but it's rather impossible for us to do such a thing. We don't have the serverside of the client and many data were stored there, so we'd have to recreate everything ourselves. This would be possible if we had the time and the tools to do so! The normal unreal editor doesn't allow us to open and modify spellborn's gamefiles so... we're pretty much doomed on that part.

I'll ask Vampiretrix to look at this topic and give you more of a headsup about all this, my knowledge about this all ain't spectacular [Image: default_smile.png].
Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

555 posts 87 threads Joined: Oct 2011
01-11-2010, 02:29 PM -
Well first of all, it would be very expensive to run a game server: it would require us to run 2 servers, daily backups (so another server for backing up). That could easily run into hundreds of euros to be paid monthly.

Secondly, it would be hard to even know what we need for server: we don't even know what Spellborn used (linux/windows). That knowledge would be crucial.

If they used Windows, the money needed would be a lot higher. If they used MySQL, we could easily get that running, but if they were using Oracle, that would mean we couldn't run it all.

Also, I and Debbie had a talk with Selachii (El Drijver), a Spellborn dev, and he told us that we might be able to hack the client and get it to connect to our server side (if we had that - which we haven't). But then we had the "real" trouble: the content.

All of Spellborn's content is stored server side which means without those files (a full database dump) we wouldn't even have 1 foe walking around as all spawning points, skills, quests, locations, information are stored on the server - that's the real work to do. Search a RuneScape private server - they might have it running, but they don't have any content, or monster spawning at all, just because it's all stored server side.

Even if we could do this, it would be very expensive and very hard to do. We don't have the tools to do this either so it's not likely to happy... I'm sorry for that.. we looked into this a long while ago (we tried a lot of options, but none seemingly gave a good result).

Kevin

This post was last modified: 01-11-2010, 02:32 PM by CowMooFlage.
Bufaritza

01-11-2010, 05:44 PM -
I hoped that the client we had was enough and we would have the client sided spawns locations and stuff. Yes, you are right, if someway we where able to hack it and make a server, the time we would put just to recreat just monsters(spawns and stuff) using lets say the spellborndb would be HUGE. And yea I know El ^^. I participated in 2 webseminars(they where awesome). Saw the house armors =)(well at least for House Rune and MaulSmile .

Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

01-11-2010, 06:44 PM -
Smile

Even if we could recreate it with Spellborn DB, all quest dialogues would be lost so that would really be a bummer for me :")

Bufaritza

01-11-2010, 07:22 PM -
We could kill and pvp at least [Image: default_smile.png]. I would say YES to that Big Grin

Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

01-11-2010, 09:14 PM -
Lol an all-zone pvp Smile

CowMooFlage
Administrator

01-11-2010, 11:29 PM -
I would like that actually...

Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

02-11-2010, 12:23 AM -
You would love that Cow, say it like it is... I prefer pve tho Smile

CowMooFlage
Administrator

02-11-2010, 10:54 AM -
Quote:You would love that Cow, say it like it is... I prefer pve tho [Image: default_smile.png]

I understand but if its possible to get only the player vs. player content running than that's quite a feat on its own. But even then we lack the tools to edit it so :/...