Reversing Spellborn
Started by Saltiel

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

249 posts in this topic
wazzupi

2 posts 0 threads Joined: Mar 2015
01-03-2015, 04:34 AM -
thank you for allowing me the opportunity to check out the spellborn world again, I really would love to get into a playable server *mobs etc* I played this game from the beginning and loved it, in fact i miss this game a lot. I hope to find another game like it, or someone to bring it back from the dead.

acid-burn

207 posts 11 threads Joined: Sep 2010
01-03-2015, 01:38 PM -
Welcome to the community Wazzupi. Our team is slowly growing so anything can happen.

[Image: banner10.jpg]
JW-NL

129 posts 7 threads Joined: Nov 2010
01-03-2015, 01:58 PM -
Welcome to the new members.

Nice to see you found the fanhub here. Activity is not real high, but we got some nice people around.

Concerning the game of Spellborn, we did manage to get the test server running to interact with the 0.8 and 0.9 versions of the client.

Later versions included the gameguard protection which is no longer working, or able to get it's info from gameguard, so we're stuck at the old versions.

The game client is a couple of files working together with the Original unreal 2004 files, if we proceed any further it might be possible to

get the information from the newer versions and see if we can link that together.

At the moment I'm also checking out the new developments with Unreal Editor version 4, there's a lot of people working with and on it.

Still a little bit sad about the ending of my Spellborn game time, but it's a good project to learn from.

Greetings Jan-Willem JW-NL

This post was last modified: 01-03-2015, 01:59 PM by JW-NL.

wazzupi

2 posts 0 threads Joined: Mar 2015
01-03-2015, 08:53 PM -
I miss the combat a lot, and I liked how the quests were setup, the open world PVP was really fun and exciting and I noticed people loved to duel from time to time, such an underrated game that fell off I guess. Do you think it's possible to run the game as a full version, updates don't really matter to me because the skill system was unique and fun from with better then most animation and having the need to aim most skills was awesome.

This post was last modified: 01-03-2015, 08:53 PM by wazzupi.

JW-NL

02-03-2015, 10:17 PM -
Full version, no, not by far since the Original server software and it's database with all information is lost.
The only things we have are the contents of the SB client files and the developed code to get the test server up to connect to.
The complete game consists of much more interaction between the server and several clients.
The database is the place where the game gets it data from and stores it to during the actual gameplay.
In other words, we lost most of the important data when the servers went down, only if we can get more client file digging / server coding done we'll see progress with the testserver.
Greetings Jan-Willem.

This post was last modified: 03-03-2015, 06:27 PM by JW-NL.
JW-NL

02-03-2015, 10:23 PM -
Another thing which is good to know:
The current Unreal Engine version 4 is now free to use.
I subscribed to it a while ago for a monthly fee, but now it went free.
I would say, check it out and get your system ready to see what's possible with the current version of Unreal.
www.unrealengine.com
Greetings Jan-Willem.

Slink
TCOS Rebirth Dev

24 posts 0 threads Joined: May 2013
03-03-2015, 02:27 PM -
Wazzupi, we can get players walking around and chatting (as you've seen) in any zone supported by the beta client. In theory we can do zone transitions, npc's/mobs, combat, pvp and maybe even quests (though this would all take a lot of time to implement). However as JW says, creating a replica of the original with pretty much no information about the original placement of NPC's, quests, items, etc. etc. is next to impossible [Image: default_sad.png] 

Saltiel
Retired dev

122 posts 3 threads Joined: Sep 2014
03-03-2015, 07:23 PM -
My life has become kind of a mess right now so I don't have much energy to spend on the project but I remember that in the data files there are spawn location/type/level/population, NPC pathes etc so it may be possible to find a lot of useful data in the client itself.
I think JW and Acid could confirm that.

acid-burn

207 posts 11 threads Joined: Sep 2010
03-03-2015, 09:51 PM -
Quote:My life has become kind of a mess right now so I don't have much energy to spend on the project but I remember that in the data files there are spawn location/type/level/population, NPC pathes etc so it may be possible to find a lot of useful data in the client itself.
I think JW and Acid could confirm that.
​Confirmed! All spawn locations and the mechanics for fight are in the client files.
The difficulty is gathering and arranging the required messages needed by the client  to activate any object, scripts, etc... Those need to be sent by the server. Also the Server needs to receive data that can be stored and or processed to be accessible from anywhere (clients) like the position of other players (updated everytime that one action takes place).

This post was last modified: 03-03-2015, 09:57 PM by JW-NL.
[Image: banner10.jpg]
Sulvor

17 posts 2 threads Joined: Dec 2011
15-03-2015, 07:14 AM -
 <a class="ipsAttachLink" href="https://www.spellborn.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=22">Chronicles_of_Spellborn_Teleport_Guide.pdf</a>
Someone I am sure already has done this somewhere, but I ran around lots this afternoon, getting all nostalgic, and happy, still the best Ambience / Music / sound, of any Game I have played!...
This is the Tele Codes for people on the server [Image: default_smile.png]

This post was last modified: 15-03-2015, 07:14 AM by Sulvor.