Started by flythth

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

12 posts in this topic
Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

555 posts 87 threads Joined: Oct 2011
17-02-2013, 11:03 PM -
You should see the login script for the Asuracake (yes, still working on that... just a lot less time with my fulltime job than expected).

I'm trying to make that as secure as possible: on any site your password should be encrypted, but I'm taking this to another level: your password will get SHA1 encrypted, but that on it's own is not quite secure. You've got rainbow tables with all possible password values, a dictionairy if it were with hashed passwords. If we have 500 users, they'd simply look at which hashes match and which don't. They will have the password easily.

So, we add a new value to it that is fixed to make these rainbow tables unusable with a value that is the same for every user. But then again, they can simply make a rainbow table with your fixed hash. This means that, if they have your secret value, they can still make a rainbow table, but only useable on your site... which is a lot of extra work. But simple enough: they just make a new rainbow table with the random value, which is almost as easy as the method above, but still a lot more secure.

But I didn't stop there... I'm also adding a random value that will get added as well that is unique for every user. This is the dealbreaker: with those 500 users, in order to hack them, they would need to generate a rainbow table for EVERY user. So not 1 rainbow table like with the other methods, but 500 times... which is a TON of work. And it will also take a lot of processing power on your PC and a metric ton of time.

So, the Asuracake will be quite secure in that way.

You can test easily if a site is secure or if your password will be retrieved easily when they are hacked by requesting your password: if the site sends you your password by mail, it's highly insecure and they store your password in plain text! If you get a resetlink, you are safe.

The actual register code for the asuracake is like this:

<pre class="_prettyXprint">

// Let's set up an array with all the required data we will need to post to the database
$data = array('firstname' => $this->input->post('firstname'),
'lastname' => $this->input->post('lastname'),
'email' => $this->input->post('email'),
'server' => $this->input->post('server'),
'race' => $this->input->post('race'),
'profession' => $this->input->post('profession'),
'activated' => 1,
'hash' => str_shuffle(md5(microtime())),
'password' => sha1(str_shuffle(md5(microtime())) . $this->input->post('password') . 'SUPERSECRETFIXEDVALUE'));

$query = $this->db->insert('customers', $data);
if ($query)
{
return true;
} else
{
return false;
}</pre>

Just want to share some information about how our sites are being made [Image: smile.png]

So, if you have any questions, just shoot!

Messages In This Thread
Hawksmouth needs your help! - by flythth - 16-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Hawksmouth needs your help! - by flythth - 16-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Hawksmouth needs your help! - by flythth - 16-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Hawksmouth needs your help! - by JW-NL - 17-02-2013, 02:05 AM
Hawksmouth needs your help! - by flythth - 17-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Hawksmouth needs your help! - by Kevin_mybb_import1 - 17-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Hawksmouth needs your help! - by flythth - 18-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Hawksmouth needs your help! - by flythth - 21-02-2013, 08:22 AM