Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Create Account  

Frametime spikes while when moving through areas

(This post was last modified: 14-09-2019, 02:13 AM by Bjartvangr.)


I've been looking forward to TCOS being playable again and I gave it a go yesterday and today.
I noticed immediately there were a lot of hickups in framerate, so I started to look into it today, just running around the forest outside of Hawksmouth.

As has been said in another post on framerate, the game is single-threaded.
So, using Process Lasso I've set affinity for the process to a single core or a couple of cores to see how it behaves.
When doing so I've also set affinity for all other processes to only use the remaining cores.

With my now pretty old i5 3570k overclocked to 4.3 GHz I still don't reach 100% when I've locked the process to one core, it's usually around 90% with some variance, and split between two cores I can see that even though the work is using both cores it is at least seemingly fully or close to fully single-threaded, as the two cores hover between 40% and 60%, rarely ever reaching a combined 100%.

With that said, frametimes and framerate are both fine so long as I stay in one area. But when I run into an area I haven't been in for a little while, the frametimes shoot up from ~17ms to spikes between 50-200ms. CPU usage stays the same throughout, so the issue seems to lie in loading in new resources into memory.

I'm not sure what kind of expertise is currently available from the dev team but in terms of user experience this issue is a major hurdle which I can't overcome, and I can't enjoy the game like this. Was it always like this?

OS: Windows 10 Pro
Processor: i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz (Boost OC to 4.30 GHz)
RAM: 8,00 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
GPU: GTX 970
Game installed on drive: Samsung SSD 860 Evo


I should add that the frametime spikes generally don't exceed 60ms, sometimes 100ms and only very rarely 200ms or higher and that only really happens when turning around in a new area or similar. Still, going from ~17ms frametimes (~60 fps) to a sudden 60ms (~17fps) is very jarring.

I'm gonna install the game on another computer with a Ryzen 1700 CPU and DDR4 RAM @ 2400 MHz and see how it runs.


I thinks it's disk access.

I'm remember this problem is already existing at the release for me. At this time it was unplayble on my older computer. Perhaps a cache parameter to change. But I don't find this parameter in INI files.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2019, 01:08 AM by AurochsReborn.)

I experience the same. I tried tweaking alot of the ini for any setting that refers to graphics or cache and it seemed to work - some. I also use Process Lasso to force the exe to run at Highest Priority and that also seemed to help - some. But i do get frame stuttering when loading a new area - especially city/villages with buildings. I have the game installed a very fast high end SSD so I dont know. I am just thinking its the game engine at this point.

i'm running a new AMD Ryzen CPU that is just an amazing monster CPU that destroys anything i throw at it so its definitely not my system.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
32gb RAM
500gb Samsung SSD
AMD Vega 56

Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)