Started by StrikeX

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 posts in this topic
StrikeX
Administrator

90 posts 9 threads Joined: Dec 2010
28-03-2011, 11:01 PM -
While browsing the web I have come across an opensource MMORPG titled PlaneShift. The graphics and animations need alot of work but It will give me a chance to learn about how mmorpgs are created, while also offering programming practice. You can read about the game at http://www.planeshift.it

My goal is to learn the mmorpg development skills needed to create a TCOS similar mmorpg. please let me know what you think.

Have a question? I'm here to help! 
CowMooFlage
Administrator

396 posts 7 threads Joined: Aug 2010
29-03-2011, 06:26 AM -
Well I'm a 100% behind any game that bothers to capture some of the uniqueness TCoS had! I hope you can pull that off in the future.

As for Planeshift; I dunno. I've never played it and I don't know if it'll be a good preparation for your journey. As I see it; you're better off working on mods for other games that uses newer gen eninges (Unreal 3 anyone?). You'll learn way more stuff that way!

StrikeX
Administrator

90 posts 9 threads Joined: Dec 2010
29-03-2011, 06:32 AM -
Quote:Well I'm a 100% behind any game that bothers to capture some of the uniqueness TCoS had! I hope you can pull that off in the future.

As for Planeshift; I dunno. I've never played it and I don't know if it'll be a good preparation for your journey. As I see it; you're better off working on mods for other games that uses newer gen eninges (Unreal 3 anyone?). You'll learn way more stuff that way!

yeah you may be right. I will have to do more research to see if I can find a game that uses a more common engine like Unreal, unity, blender, ect......... I'll keep you guys posted as to what I find.
Have a question? I'm here to help!