Started by StrikeX

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

47 posts in this topic
CowMooFlage
Administrator

396 posts 7 threads Joined: Aug 2010
14-12-2010, 09:44 PM -
Quote:If you don't have an idea of how to code it yourself, it's going to be a though job. Making an MMORPG is a hell of a job, is very hard, you need to have a lot of funding to make it run and it's impossible to do it on your own. You'd need to be able to run servers and maintain them, scripting the game, coding the engine, writing the dialogues, creating models and meshes. It's nearly impossible. I know that since I once was involved in a project that was about making an MMO. It got blown off after the core engine was nearly finished - it was very hard.

The best thing is to join an existing project and help them out. Because, if you want to start your own, you need to be fully capable of doing everything yourself so that other people have the basis structure to help you out. 
DudewithWings

149 posts 8 threads Joined: Nov 2010
15-12-2010, 09:54 AM -
Would love to see you pull this off but I don't think you will pretty sure about it. It is very hard to do this and takes ALOT of time. So good luck and have fun.

[Image: Steampunksignature.png]
StrikeX
Administrator

90 posts 9 threads Joined: Dec 2010
19-12-2010, 06:41 AM -
Quote:Would love to see you pull this off but I don't think you will pretty sure about it. It is very hard to do this and takes ALOT of time. So good luck and have fun.

Wink
Have a question? I'm here to help! 
JW-NL

129 posts 7 threads Joined: Nov 2010
28-11-2011, 10:49 PM -
Well,

StrikeX, I don't know if you recently checked the forum, but there is something boiling in the couldron, it just takes more time to be ready to eat. [Image: default_cool.png]

Check out the thread: http://forum.spellborn.org/index.php?/to...-spellborn

Greetings JW-NL

acid-burn

207 posts 11 threads Joined: Sep 2010
22-12-2011, 01:30 PM -
Preview: Shardship travel

http://youtu.be/aG6oEFwBjrE

This post was last modified: 22-12-2011, 01:35 PM by acid-burn.
[Image: banner10.jpg]
Malyngo

33 posts 2 threads Joined: Sep 2010
27-12-2011, 03:50 PM -
Isn't that Malcolm from UT in that video? Wink

JW-NL

27-12-2011, 07:59 PM -
Indeed you've seen that right.

Acid and I did not yet get good access to the character and animation files, so acid ended up making this video with one of the standard unreal 2004 characters.

But nice you noticed. [Image: default_wink.png]

Greetings JW-NL

CowMooFlage
Administrator

396 posts 7 threads Joined: Aug 2010
29-12-2011, 04:18 PM -
Quote:Indeed you've seen that right.

Acid and I did not yet get good access to the character and animation files, so acid ended up making this video with one of the standard unreal 2004 characters.

But nice you noticed. [Image: default_wink.png]

Greetings JW-NL

Hey JW,

been a while! Glad to see you and Acid have teamed up for this project, I'd gladly lend you a hand if exams weren't coming up next month ( [Image: default_mellow.gif] ). But I'll contact you later and maybe I can help you guys in any way.

Groetjes ;D
JW-NL

01-01-2012, 05:38 PM -
Hey Cow,

Actualy Acid and I are in daily contact on the vent server that Acid has running. We play DDO on a regular basis so that's one of the reasons that we speak each other a lot.

There was a certain moment while browsing through the files of spellborn and unreal 2004 that I found a few things that looked simular. After some testing and manual editing in a hex editor I could open the sound files in the unreal editor 2004.

Next step was making a program which could do the editing of the files automaticly since the manual editing was a lot of work.

Talking with Acid about this and giving him my program made clear that while he was testing there was still a lot that didn't work correctly with this way of rewriting the Spellborn files.

A few things were changed in the program and now the soundfiles and textures could be done correctly for most of the files.

Certain files gave problems because of the fact that the game of Spellborn is made with a different version of the unreal engine and the devs of Spellborn added and maybe changed things in the core of unreal itself since they had the the means to access that code and compile their own version of the Unreal engine.

Due to this the information in the unreal package files have some things that are different from the "official" unreal 2004 files.

Acid has done some great work with the files we got rewritten correctly at the moment like the video he made earlier, but and there's a big BUT,

we still have not a good way to get good access to the animation files which contain the skeletal meshes and the movements that belong to them.

This is something that I may find out in a later moment, but since I also want to do some different things during this Christmas period I'm not working on it at the moment.

But don't worry, Acid and I will get our fingers behind it is my guess. [Image: default_wink.png]

So , Happy New Year or "Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar" from the Netherlands.

Greetings Jan-Willem.

Czelsior
Eternal Guardian

187 posts 27 threads Joined: Aug 2010
07-02-2012, 06:58 PM -
Are there already any news about your trip into the spellborn files?

What lies hidden. must be found

TCoS Gameplay Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/czelsior