Started by StrikeX

Rate this topic
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

47 posts in this topic
StrikeX
Administrator

90 posts 9 threads Joined: Dec 2010
03-10-2012, 08:02 PM -
Hello, I know it must seem that I have been quite quiet lately... I have not given up on TCOS v2.0 (as it has been named) I have been in contact with Acid-Burn and JW_NL, via our vent server. I have come to the decision that i need some more basic knowledge of Pascal and reverse engineering DLLs. I have not been working directly on the spellborn files because my focus has been on researching how to work with these files.

I will break through my programming barriers one day, and when i do, The world of spellborn will come back to life! [Image: default_biggrin.png]

~Joshua(Dev Team)

P.S. May that which is hidden be found

Have a question? I'm here to help! 
Czelsior
Eternal Guardian

187 posts 27 threads Joined: Aug 2010
13-11-2012, 01:21 AM -
Did you make some progress the last time?

I would be too bad if the rebuilding would be canceled

What lies hidden. must be found

TCoS Gameplay Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/czelsior

JW-NL

129 posts 7 threads Joined: Nov 2010
17-11-2012, 04:09 PM -
Mhmm, still waiting for a reaction from Sirokko...

On my own Spellborn tool and programming, didn't do much about it anymore.

The more time Acid and I spent into the Spellborn v2 project, the more clear it becomes that it's not a 2 men job to do next to a normal daytime job and some DDO gaming in the evening.

Although I must say I learned a lot the last period about gameprogramming.

Greetings JW-NL

Kevin
Legend of House Shroud

555 posts 87 threads Joined: Oct 2011
19-11-2012, 03:08 AM -
I know how much work it is to do such a thing... even rebuilding something is very hard.

I'm currently as well trying to build a game with a few friends, and it's quite hard to do so, specially since we want to make an original game. You need a lot of things: artists, programmers, sounds...

All quite hard, but hopefully we will pull it off [Image: default_smile.png]

Also, if I could help JW-NL, let me know Smile

DrDream

94 posts 11 threads Joined: Nov 2010
10-01-2013, 02:11 AM -
Cant wait to hear an update on the progress on the game! can we hope to see it this year? [Image: default_biggrin.png] or is it gona be 2 or 3. i hope to get a publisher to republish TCOS but its probally kinda doubtful but ive got a dream and its to play this game!!

Czelsior
Eternal Guardian

187 posts 27 threads Joined: Aug 2010
21-01-2013, 01:17 AM -
Imo it would be the best to get an own private server here.

A new publisher would probably destroy the game with some Free to Play rubbish and there would be again fear to lose the game if too less people pay.

It would be our server then where we could decide.

As far as I know they are still working on it but its hard to make progress in such a complicated thing because they only use their free time beside their jobs.

And all what i know is ,that alot of work have to be done to run the game again.

We have to see what will happen in the future but i think 2-3 years is realistic.

What lies hidden. must be found

TCoS Gameplay Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/czelsior

DrDream

94 posts 11 threads Joined: Nov 2010
21-05-2013, 12:26 AM -
is this project still active its been to quiet without even the smallest of updates even a hey ya im still working when i can to try to get this bird off the ground. sorry to kick a dead horse im just so desperate to play this game, as ive said a few times on here before ive never actually played the game but have the burning desire to do so i just wish i had more computer know how.

JW-NL

129 posts 7 threads Joined: Nov 2010
27-05-2013, 07:02 PM -
Yep,

Acid and I are still working on it.

It might be that even more ppl are working on the spellborn files, but for this moment we didn't get in contact with someone who has done more then us.

And as Kaiyn said, we work on it mostly in the evening after the daytime job is done. Also we do play some game like DDO, this makes it something that isn't done in a few weeks / months.

At the start of Spellborn, the setup was with the unreal 2004 / 2.5 engine and nowadays there is a lot of info available for this engine, even some UC script files are available for rebuilding the *.U files.

Beware though that the devs of spellborn had the complete source at their hands and also made some changes, did a lot of programming in DLL files which makes it harder for us to get through to

the basics of the game.

Also as you might have read earlier, we only have the client files. What we miss is the table layout and content of the database server and also the server part for the exchange of the unreal game data.

In other words the so called player replication, this handles the movement, damage etc for your character and others closeby (those that you can see in your viewrange) between the clients and server.

What I've been doing the last period is trying to get the animation data and the linked skeletal meshes out of the SB files so we can reuse them in a new environment. 

This might not be the best way to get it done, but at least we can call out an Urgarut or howler in the unreal game again.

Actualy playing SB again might be a far reach, since it involves a lot of data and programming to be done, let's just say we are trying to get at least the environment and chars / sound / music back so we can

recreate the feel of the game back online.

Let's hope that this will give you a good feeling, but for the moment you'll have to do with the content that is available online like youtube.

My favorite is still the arena 4v4 fight, our international guildies against a team from the exosyn guild.

My low lvl char JW-goud (jw-gold in english) is visible. Video has been recorded and uploaded by Kaiyn/Czelsior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBQ-da8o9z4

Greetings Jan-Willem.

CowMooFlage
Administrator

396 posts 7 threads Joined: Aug 2010
29-05-2013, 05:43 PM -
If you succeed at setting up the world (or parts of it) again that can be called a huge success on its own! I'm proud of how far you've come along and sincerely happy about your continued drive to make it happen. GG [Image: default_smile.png]

Aodh

3 posts 0 threads Joined: Jul 2013
23-07-2013, 08:28 AM -
Hey everyone,

I've been reading through this topic, and have to admit I'm quite happy to find some people who still feel the same emotional connection towards the world of Spellborn. Although my experience in game designing or even just level designing is quite inexistant at the moment, I'd like to give you a hand if possible.

Now let me introduce myself a bit and explain what I've been thinking about. [Image: default_smile.png]

I had the chance to play Spellborn from the last weeks of beta up until the end of the European Servers. Starting on French servers (as I'm french [Image: default_tongue.png]), I re-rolled on the international servers where I joined the Forsaken Gods guild. Now all that is quite common for all of you I suppose as most of you must have had a similar experience.

In real life though, Spellborn allowed me to discover the publisher behind it named Frogster. A few years after Spellborn died, Frogster bought the license to publish a game called Tera Online on the european soil. As I was following this game because of the targeting combat system which reminded me of Spellborn, I also discovered Frogster was actively recruiting. I gave it a shot, and got my first job as Community Manager in the games industry. And this is where it might become interesting, as I discovered a few ex-employees from Spellborn N.V. who had worked on the developement of the game ended up joining Frogster too. Obviously, I didn't resist bringing the subject up with them, and luckily I found out they were still very passionate and proud of the work they had accomplished.

Now Frogster is dead (has been bought by Gameforge), but I'm still in touch with those 2 game designers and I was thinking, maybe, I could talk with them about you guys and the dream you have. Now that could perfectly lead nowhere, as I don't know if they'll be ok with the idea of people working on the game without any real legal permission, or even if they have anything that might help us for that. But as they're very nice and friendly people, I think it deserves a shot.

On my side, I have loads of videos, screenshots and also a full version of the client gathered during my time in Frogster that I could share here if that would help in any way.

So that's pretty much all, sorry for the wall of text, I just felt like sharing what was on my mind. [Image: default_smile.png]

Whatever happens, I'm very impressed you guys managed to stay so passionate and active here for so many years.

Cheers,
Aodh

[Image: aodhsign.png]